Monday, December 27, 2010

Reverb10 - Ordinary Joy and Soul Food

December 27 – Ordinary Joy Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author: Brené Brown) 


I would have to say it was seeing my husband peacefully sleeping in his new recliner, in our new (to us) home, in our new city after his first week on his new job. I've never seen him so thoroughly and totally happily relaxed.


Then, there was the look on our kitties faces when they discovered they had green grass and trees to play among again. Or, maybe it was the look on our bunnies faces as they discovered grass under their paws for the first time, ever. 


December 26 – Soul Food What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul? (Author: Elise Marie Collins)


I love to cook. I write my own recipes. We seldom eat things thoughtlessly. Favorites this year? Stews made using our own garden-raised tomatoes and tomatillos. Coming home to all live dinners unique to our palettes and hands. 


We had a few other meals of memory too. We enjoyed a wonderful seafood dinner as a treat in Salt Lake City at McGrath's. Karl got to enjoy scallops and oysters while at a training event in Iowa. We shared an expensive bottle of port to celebrate his acceptance in the DOT Academy. 


Most recently, we savored Hereford rib-eye, aged with exquisite marbling from the Fresh Market. Fresh Market is a brief (yet pricey) trip down to Wonderland for groceries. We enjoyed an olive bar, fresh fish steaks, kumquats, and heritage tomatoes, all brought to our kitchen, prepared and lovingly consumed. It was a tasty year! 


Next year? I will reintroduce bread to our home! Fresh, crispy, tender, chewy bread. Sigh...

1 comment:

  1. Homemade bread is love with a warm crust that smells wonderful....

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!