Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reverb 10 - Wonder - Land and Alice!

December 4 – Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author: Jeffrey Davis)


This post is dual-purposed: Reverb10 and the Oh Alice challenge! 


Today we awaken to fresh snow - half a foot. The neighborhood has transcended into a quiet, magical land. How appropriate that today's prompt is Wonder! 


My art focus helps me see things from that most magical perspective - child-level. I'm not afraid to ask those questions that we, as adults, are frowned upon broaching. I ask myself "What if..." a lot. I purposely stop and pick a random item, then imagine what else it might be, or if components can be put to a different use. I love doing that! 


I've been struggling lately with life - just getting things done, making sure priorities were met, and finally, I'm close to seeing the end of the tunnel! I rewarded myself by exploring a medium I know little about - encaustics. I spent some time on YouTube watching videos. I spent some time looking at materials and considering how I could try this medium without a lot of investment. I set off shopping and came back with some definite maybe products.


I will do a little video soon to tell you about the products I used, and the mess I made. [Insert very silly childlike grin here!] Here is one view of my Encaustic mixed media ATC:


{click to enlarge and see all the wonderful details!}


This ATC features a wonderful image from Some Odd Girl stamps. I just LOVE this image - it's me and Tinker! The background is all melted, colored wax, and I made my own adhesive tape with a text background stamp, Paula, the Journal Artista's glimmer glam paint formula, and medical tape. Fun! I colored Kaylee Cuddle (the image) with my Copic markers. This ATC will be included in an art journaling page describing how I love to enjoy days filled with wonder!


Now - you notice I had "And Alice" in the title? Well, I wasn't able to get my project completed yesterday, in time for the challenge blog to post. So - this is a reminder that YOU can play along with the Oh Alice Twisted Thirteen for a chance at winning your own Some Odd Girl stamps! Hop on over to the Oh Alice challenge blog for all the sweet details! You don't need to do encaustics to play - just use a handmade flower in your project! What are you waiting for? You have until midnight Friday, December 10th!


See you soon!
~ky

4 comments:

  1. Really cute ATC! Can't wait to hear about your journey into encaustics. I've done some wax work, but have never taken that additional step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Tinker are SO adorable! I love that background, looks like a lot of fun went into it! I've never heard of encaustics, I look forward to seeing your video and hearing more about it :)
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    hugs, margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ATC - and you are right it is you!!
    Thanks for sharing the new technique.
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous background and colour, love your flower too, perfect embellishment for your card. Tracy Evans x x

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!