Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reverb10 - Community

December 7 – Community Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)


Community. Wow. Where do you begin? There are so many communities. So many types of communities. We belong to the community of family (sometimes, we'd rather not). 


We belong to the community of neighbors (sometimes dysfunctional, sometimes a very small community).


We belong to the community of shoppers, coffee-housers, commuters, pet owners, parents, gossips, gripers, whiners, moaners, polly-annas, doom and gloomers, chronic medicine, caregivers, girlfriends, boyfriends, friend-friends. The list can be never ending. There are communities you want to be in, and ones that you didn't even realize you were in, plus those you wish you could opt out of.


Then there are the communities we relish. Those that inspire us, lift us, give us a chance to lift others. There are communities where you wish you could spend every moment because it's safe, warm, encouraging. Some of these are creative communities. I'm very fortunate to be part of a couple of those.


I have the most delightful group of crafters - artists, musicians, writers - that love to share among YouTube and Ustream. They encourage, nurture, even smack you on the head when you need it! This group is what I term, ALIVE, active, interactive. Someone finds a new thing, and we all run to watch and learn!


There are more static but just as profoundly influencing groups. These tend to attract those who are too busy for the above mentioned alive group. These people need not feel slighted - they just don't have the time (or actually have better self-discipline) to spend all day hanging about the internet. They post their projects, and scour projects and ideas in a more private manner. These groups favor Ning and Flickr groups where they can come and go without a schedule.


I have great communities for creativity. The biggest issue I have is needing to open myself up to new things, but not go so fast that I learn, buy and never continue to play with new media or tools. With health issues, the harder community, for me, is the "in-person" type. I often think about my Mom. We moved around a lot, and she seldom had a reliable community. She would have loved to participate in online communities, and would have been a wonderful addition.


I'm not looking for a new community, but I fully expect our community to grown and morph over the next year. I'm excited by what the future may hold! What's that you say? You want to join my community? Follow me on twitter, find me on Flickr or hang out at some Nings. Share where you lurk, and your enthusiasm!


~ky (the Scrapacat)

2 comments:

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!