Sunday, March 4, 2018

Fiscal Responsibility

Here in the US we're approaching tax day. I need 2 things - supplies for creativity and enough funds to fuel that creativity. Who wants to spend a bundle and then feel like hoarders? Who?? I found a product that I'm delighted to share with you so you can get out of the hoards!

I love Ranger Ink. I do. I have full-set-itis. I caught it from some "good" friends. You know who you are. Right? I see you.

I love Ranger. I don't always love their prices. When I buy a pack of 10-sheets of paper, I really can't use it. It has to sit there and be pretty while I while I fondle it. And hoard.


That's $9 for 10 sheets plus shipping or gas to the store. And tax! It's a $1 a sheet! And if you mess up? Yeah...sad bunneh. I just couldn't do it. But there's a new technique I'm dying to try and it *requires* glossy paper.

IMPORTANT NOTE - glossy photo paper will not work. That paper is only good for making photos! Now...where was I...

I didn't get to go to Creativation. Like so many of you, I had to be satisfied with watching demo videos and photos. Of course, I hung on every word that came out of Tim Holtz' mouth. I always do. He's amazing and has changed our crafting forever!


We were both a lot younger back then. I got to take a class with him, too. Precious memories! This is the current video that got me all twitterpated.

I had a brain storm...ok, more like a brain humidity. I have Office Depot print everything for my color printing needs. I don't have the patience or funds to keep a color printer happy. After years of heartache, I just had to set them in a reed basket on the Nile. OD is my go-to sekrit-weapon for all things color printed.

Yes, I set my printer free.
Working on our BSF class register - I came across a different print option that was singing to me when I picked them up. It was a shiny finish that made the photos really pop. Wheels turning (sorry for the rusty screech), I popped in to see if I could get some of that paper. No, the print shop doesn't use the brand they sell. Odd. But they have it delivered in bulk and different regular sizes, so I understood. But wait! She said. She'd ask her manager if they sell something comparable, or if she could sell me some of her stock.

It took a few minutes, but the manager pointed me to a product called glossy brochure paper. Well, here - just watch the video.



So how is this fiscal responsibility? It comes in 100 sheets. For $25 US (or less on sale). That's about 4 cents per sheet. No fear of messing up.

Tim noted in another video that alcohol inks don't like to play well with any other medium. I found I could use my alcohol inks over the Distress Oxides after I applied the micro-glaze. I may never move away from the unique blend of these products and paper.

I hope you have some fun with it too!
~ky

Office Depot Brochure Paper from Office Depot (Watch for sales.)

1 comment:

  1. Loved your video! You should have left your Oxides on your mat instead of wiping them up in between to get more use out of them, sweetie. But thanks for the tip on the Office Depot Brochure paper. I've never even heard of that. Glad that it will work in the place of Glossy cardstock which can be so pricey.

    Your card turned out so awesome!! And I'm glad that you're sharing this technique. I was waiting to get more Oxides in. I'm so silly. (And stubborn.) Love that you shared a video. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!