Sunday, February 4, 2018

Your Civic Duty

Hello friends! Recently I was called to sit for jury duty. I consider it an honor. It's a privilege to be asked to hear evidence and decide an outcome. Many people, though, don't like it, don't think it's a good way to do things, but everyone charged has a right in this great nation to have citizens consider their actions. While it's imperfect, it is the way we've had to protect the process.

This wonderful new set is Hedgehugs in the Occasions
catalog, on notecards - perfect for mailing!
I had information that we might be selected for 2 jury trials, one was a murder. As I sat watching the selection process, I was amazed by a few things.

People gripe. Before anything was done, people around me were already moaning about being there. Seriously complaining with all sorts of delightfully naughty words. They colored my opinion of them. I just wanted to stamp.

The Wood Textures patterned paper and Daffodil Delight
1/4th inch double-stitched ribbon make this a breeze!
The court process was smooth - a well-worn, efficient system. The first thing they did was pay us. All of us. Then we could sit and listen. Still the complaining. YOU GOT FREE MONEY. True, it was only $6, but a seated jury earns $40 a day. Whine.

Happy Wishes is one of the great items you can earn during Sale-A-Bration!
I love sequins. This is a brand new folder Scattered Sequins Dynamic Textured Impressions and
it makes me deliriously happy! The ribbon is Berry Burst finely woven ribbon with a
sweet self-adhesive sequin! What? Yay!! The paper is Color Theory ombre fade.
So I was sketching ideas for cards and dreaming about ink colors, techniques, the latest stamps in my studio...day dreaming. With a side of whine. On the phone. Whining about serving. Why is the court officer not snatching her phone??

As the judge went along telling us the process, he started asking different groups to approach if they fit the descriptions disqualifying them from serving. You know, like being older with health problems, a mother or father in full-time care of children, unable to sit and pay attention for 1.5 hours of testimony at a time. Whining continued.

This set called Party Pandas can be earned for Sale-A-Bration.
The silly sentiment is from a new set Birthday Wit in the Occsions catalog.
After we go through the 'easy' dismissals, the judge talks to us in terse language about how felons cannot serve. Two get up and leave. Really? How did they get on the list!?! Maybe they were recently convicted? I don't know.

The paper is Delightful Daisy from the AC, the Celebrate You die is a Sale-A-Bration
set, and the flower is from another Sale-A-Bration set Amazing You.
Then he talks about dirty crimes. Yes. Dirty little crimes. Thieving. Dirty thieving people. They cannot serve if they have been convicted of thieving. Not even if they've been arrest but not convicted of thieving. Thieves must be the worst in this judge's world. I mean, they're pretty low in mine too. Especially copyright thieves. Boo!

This darling box is new! You need it because you can fill it with
goodies! Lots to Love includes those darling small hearts and the
conversation-style hearts, too, plus the banner die! Squee!!
So the thieves were asked to come forward. There goes my whine. In her scrubs. To tell the judge she's a thief. Why couldn't she call and state that and avoid the whole thing? I suspect she likes whining about thieving. In public. On her fancy i-Phone with her thousand-dollar 2-inch custom nails. Lord, please forgive me for judging, but now I can't help but wonder what she thieved.

Did I mention this is a bundle? Yes!
A gorgeous bundle with the Sure Do Love You stamp set. And the
papers...swoon! I'll show you those in my next post. Divine with great embellishments!
The judge tells us he needs 64 people. I look around - there are maybe 80 of us left. His computer pulls a random list. I'm not on it. Not even mispronounced. I'm sad that I have to leave, but I'm glad to go play in my studio.

Hope your day is wonderful and whine-free!
~ky


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I’m a retired police officer and am used to trials. Since I retired I’ve been called to jury duty 4 times. Never selected. The last time I took a couple pens and a journal. I drew all during selection. It was entertaining. And the judge called me Major Hendon when he came into the courtroom and asked how my husband was. Ha! I love court. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!