Thursday, July 19, 2018

Little Things

Hello! Welcome to my blog! I must tell you I have a special place in my heart for little things. Baby bunnehs, little piglets, baby alligators - and not just animals! I also love small-format works of art!

I fell in love with artist trading cards (ATCs) years ago, but somewhere I lost the desire to create them. I think I was busy falling in love with the next new thing. I moved from scrapbooking to card making, but all things old are new again!

Small formats still tell stories!
ATCs were a way to create one of a kind art. They were used to trade with other artists - sharing personal style, techniques, or serving as business cards! These were usually created in small quantities earning collection numbers (i.e. #3 of 14). Some were one-offs - only 1 in a series, thus coveted.

The latest phenom stirring the crafty waters are Artist Trading Coins (ATCoins or just Coins). These are the same principle, just abbreviated. The ATCs were 3.5 x 2.5 inches (same size as baseball trading cards and most business cards). ATCoins are 2.5 inch circles. I don't know why, but these are so addictive!


My friends and I just finished our first Coin exchange. There were 2 options - create 18 similar coins (it's hard to make them perfect copies) to exchange with 17 others, and a one-to-one exchange. So satisfying, invigorating, muse-shaking fun! I'll share those once everyone has received theirs in the swap - no spoilers!


I started with a Gel Press printed sheet and punched 2.5 inch circles. I colored some medical gauze with Daley Rowney FW light green acrylic ink. Then I embeded it by stitching it into the gel print and covering bits with modeling paste. I added circles of acrylic paint, added some green glitter washii from Tim Holtz and Nuvo crystal drops. The fish is a Beautiful Betta from The Ton. I love this set so much!!

Here's the one-on-one swap. I made this adorable undersea coin using alcohol inks and foil on Yupo paper. The stamps are Inkon3's My Little Catfish.


I put these cute little merkittehs and sea horse on a fluid alcohol ink circle of Yupo paper. Did I mention these little coins are addictive?!

Here's the one I received from my partner, Rebecca Roh. Isn't it gorgeous? Every kitteh needs toys and leaves pawprints on your heart. I love it!!


Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm hosting the Mix-Ability challenge on Splitcoast this week. Swing on by and join us!

Ta for now,
~ky

1 comment:

  1. Wow, look at all the teeny tiny details, the textures & colors on each one! Despite the smaller size, they look very balanced for the size of each mini project! Love your kittymaids!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!