Friday, May 18, 2018

MISTI Fingerpainting

Have you ever attended a crafty event or retreat? They are so much fun and you learn a lot. Sometimes you learn from a presenter, or maybe someone at your table shows you something. That's what happened to me.

I went to the Fabulous Lydia Fiedler's retreat one time. She had tons of things to share with us, and fellow guests were all so willing to share their experiences and help each other. You should go. You should. Her events sell out fast, so your fingers have to be quick. You can stalk her blog - Understand Blue.

This one time, she taught us how to use a MISTI to create a marbled cityscape using the MISTI. You can see her tutorial here. I'll be doing something similar, but with my little twist.

I needed some upscale masculine cards for a friend. Something to convey they were appreciated as teacher and principal. I went with the Rooted In Nature set because I love those bold images (you can order it June 1st, so start your list!! Be sure to add the matching paper and dies - you'll want them ALL!), and trees always remind me that great oaks grow from acorns. It's a bit acorny, but teachers are all about growing strong, capable people.




I created the faux metallic effect on regular cardstock by using the 3D dynamic embossing folder honeycomb, covering the entire piece in versamark, and applying many layers of metallic pan pastels (would you like a video on that?).

I used Canson watercolor paper instead of smooth cardstock to give more texture to the tree. I used a retired ink color, but you could sub any similar combo based on what you have. Mine were Tangelo Twist (ret.), Crushed Curry, Mossy Meadow, and Early Espresso.

While that was drying, I pressed SU! white embossing paste through the pattern party mask over selected parts of the card base. I second- and third-generation stamped some of the skeleton leaves in the unembossed areas.

The new Stampin' Up! dies have a new feature - some of them just emboss! I embossed the copper foil paper then used the die to cut it. Love that effect! I also added some circled metallic thread behind the image just to add more dimension.

I'm so glad you visited my blog today. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. You're the best!!

Ta for now,
~ky


2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS, Ky! Thanks, too, for the show-me video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eye candy galore. I'm head over this card. Thank you for the explanations and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!