Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ink Sandwiches and Pulled Pastels...ready for summer?

The first project I want to share with you is a technique I developed because I can't work with my copics very well (so far). I found that using Memento on transparencies is not recommended unless you want a big mess. StazOn for transparencies! Live and learn!
The project above is the finished project. I will eventually get step by step pictures, but I wanted to let some of you in on the process as soon as I could get to it. My goal was to display the brilliant colors of Copics in a medium as close to pure color as I could get. The Unity fish stamp from Beach Days and Sun Rays seemed a good place to start.

I began by stamping the fish on the transparency, then colored the fishes. In the process, some of the image lines would disappear with the Copic ink. And the lines weren't as bold as I wanted. So, I began fiddling with a way to put a "cover" over the inks to keep them from being scratched away. What to do...

Looking through my stash, I found my vellum adhesive sheets from Glue Dots. Voila! I stamped with StazOn directly on the top of the adhesive sheet. I peeled away the backing, lined it up with my colored image, then adhered the two. I put a little more Copic coloring to brighten and give dimension to the fishes on the vellum adhesive sheet, then sandwiched the vellum and transparency sheaves between two designer papers. Now I can add embellishments to the card, and mail it without worrying if the careful Copic painting gets damaged. So...I will try to re-do the technique in another project. I will remember to stop and take step by step photos! I hope...meanwhile, here's another project:

The second project was my first attempt to pull pastels (as demonstrated by Gina K. on Stamp TV). You saw my gorgeous haul of chalks in the post below. I thought I would use an image that doesn't automatically make you think of our nation's independence. I dressed it in our traditional red-white-and-blue. I think it conveys what freedom should be for everyone. The freedom to come and go, or linger and enjoy like butterflies.

Well, sweeties - time's up for me right now. So I'll bid you adiue for now. Hope you have a stellar day!

Ta for now, ~ky

4 comments:

  1. Super cute cards Ky! I love that first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice cards, Ky! The technique you used on your first card is cool - look forward to your step-by-step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUV these cards!!! Those fishies are adorable!!! And awesome job on the technique with your new chalks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!!! And you thought you needed Copic lessons. Looks like you're doing just fine!!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!