Friday, December 8, 2017

Benaiah Sets An Example

Hello friends! Welcome! I wanted to tell you a little story today. It's about tackling fears. Do you need help with that? I do, quite often. I'm always amazed by God's divine writing - every jot and tittle is critical.* You know, then, that even the boring genealogies are there for a purpose. Let's look at this little passage from 2 Samuel 23:20.
Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, performed great exploits. He struck down Moab’s two mightiest warriors. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion.
Did you see it? That last little bit. Who does that? He went down (voluntarily) into a pit (an enclosed space) with a lion (hello, apex predator) on a snowy day (slippery when wet). Talk about facing your fears!?!

Ok, so my fears usually aren't that life-or-death. I still need courage, and God is the one I trust to bring it. This little revelation came to me through the reading of Mark Batterson's book.


Facing fears just for the sake of facing fears is one thing. However, not chasing the lion might be your biggest regret in the end. I've been told I was crazing for doing certain things - lighting fires out of a helicopter, walking the rim of the Grand Canyon in the dark, going to Africa with my health issues. Yet, if I hadn't done those things, I could be sitting here in retirement with a memory filled with regrets and shoulda's. I don't like the idea of coulda-shoulda-woulda-ing all over myself. So I jump! Besides, that's where God does His best business!

This revelation had to be captured in my journaling Bible. I started by sealing my page with clear gesso, then laid down yellow Frog tape to make a clean edge along the text.

I foam blended several colors of Distress Ink for the background. Then I put a diamond stencil over removed some of the Distress Ink with a damp paper towel, revealing a subtle pattern.

I used this image from the internet (credit to Philippines-based designer Kerby Rosanes) and traced it on the page. After tracing, I went over the image again with Copic multiliners. Getting all those lines and dots on there was a treat. I love that part! I followed that with General's carbon pencils and a smudging tortillon to smooth it over.



The letters are stickers that I shaded with carbon pencil and added white dots with my white Gelly Roll pen. I sealed it all with Mod Podge matte spray sealer.

I hope this inspires you to move out of your comfort zone a little, and into your Bible more. Feel free to join us on Splitcoast for the Mix-Ability challenge and our monthly Bible Journaling challenge! Have a great day!

~ky

*(A jot is like the dot of an "i", an iota; and tittle is the crossing of the "t". Reference link.) 

I'm an associate! If you click these items to purchase, I get a small share which does not affect your price. Thanks for helping me reach more people!

1 comment:

  1. It must be so nice to read your bible with such beautiful art work in it. The lion is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. Make my day brighter and leave me some love!

Welcome to the Bunny Nest! I host rescued animals in a small in-home setting. Currently, I host 3 bunnies and 2 kitties. These animals will be socialized and housed for the entirety of their lives in my home. They inspire my crafts, and I use any proceeds to pay for their needs. Thanks for visiting!